signals under electrification

Sun Mar 12 08:12:15 EDT 2017

Bud, all,
Thanks once again for your responses.  I was looking at the shots from the
electrified section of Thieme's book and found some pertinent information.
First, page 123 shows #2125 at Coaldale "under the wire" in 1937 and what
looks a whole lot like PL signals (a 3-armer to boot) guarding the West
entrance to the tunnel.  So it would appear that at least some PLs made it
into the electrification.  And on the flip-side of the coin, page 125 shows
one of several shots he made on August 4th, 1950, a month and a half after
electric operations were discontinued, with semaphores still in use at
Landgraff.  Also from August 4th, page 127 shows a West-bound passenger
train exiting the West portal of the new tunnel, so it would appear that
the "split" operations using both tunnels lasted only a few weeks.
Jim Cochran