David Flickwir's Tunkhannock Viaduct - 1914 Construction Photo

Fri Feb 24 19:54:17 EST 2017

Gordon,

When I wrote that Mr. Flickwir lived "on Orchard Hill," I wasn't referring to the street... Indeed I had forgotten there was a street by that name !

Back before Community Hospital was built (1963-1964,) that whole rise behind the hospital, and lying south of Elm Ave and  east of Jefferson Street, was called "Orchard Hill."  I guess it is a name which has gone the way of the DoDo Bird.

I believe Mr. Flickwir's digs were at the southewast corner of South Jefferson St and Mountain Ave, SE.  The house still stands, and I think it is owned by the successor to Roanoke Memorial Hospital (which hospital he heavily endowed.)

I believe Raymond Barnes' History of Roanoke contains some mention of the orchard which covered the hill at one time.  The orchard may have belonged to the Terry Farm.  (The remnant of the Terry Farm is now the block holding the Roanoke Public Library.)

-- abram burnett