Last use of 578 and 563

Tue Jan 24 13:26:22 EST 2017

To add to what Paul has said, the 563 and 578 were kept around until December 1958 for use on Trains 5 and 6 even though the CVL had been dieselized.  N&W had only six passenger diesels with steam generators and they were being used elsewhere.  5 and 6 were powered by freight diesels without steam generators like 790 mentioned but when cold weather required heat on the trains, 563 and 578 were used until additional passenger diesels were delivered in late 1958 and then the two E-2a’s were retired.

Bud Jeffries