"Takin Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

Thu Jan 19 11:31:34 EST 2017

Kevin,

     I think you are describing a brake stick (baseball bat like device that brakemen used in the manner you said).  A hickey is something else.  If no correct answer is received, I will explain what it is next "Takin' Twenty" Report.

Skip
---- NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

=============
Mr. Salmon,

I think a hickey is a tool used by a brakemen. It is a lever device several
feet long with a small hook feature on the end. The hook feature may have
been of various sizes, say the 1/2' or 3/4" mentioned.

The device would help the brakemen turn a stubborn brake wheel ... gave him
additional leverage. It hooked on the wheel shaft, extended through the the
spokes of the wheel laterally and extend beyond the OD of the wheel. The
hickey gave the brakemen additional leverage.

See link for pictures:

http://www.mendorailhistory.org/1_railroads/brakemen.htm

Kevin Byrd
Chesterfield, VA