Mail Train Operation Was... Re: Anyone know what train this is?

Fri Jan 13 16:39:43 EST 2017

I have one other question that I have long wondered about and hope someone might have an answer:

In the late 1950s (after the mail and express trains were discontinued)  continuing until at least the mid 1960s, No. 46 (The Tennessean) arrived in Lynchburg with two to five mail and express cars attached on its end. These cars originated in Cincinnati and perhaps Columbus, were attached to No. 46 in Roanoke,  and were going to Greensboro and points south.  These cars were taken off No. 46 at Monroe and attached  to  the Southern mail and express train, No. 19, which departed Monroe around 6 pm and came back through Lynchburg on the Southern headed south.

Two questions:

On which N&W train did these cars get to Roanoke?

On which N&W train did these cars get back to Ohio from Roanoke?   I believe they returned from the South on Southern No. 30 to Monroe and we put on No. 41 (the Pelican) to Roanoke.

    Ray Smoot