Why the "B" for the Manassas to Harrisonburg line

Sun Dec 25 16:22:03 EST 2016

Great information, Nathan. Thanks, didn't really know that.

But do we know why the "B" for the Manassas to Harrisonburg, former
Southern Railway line, now NS? That is today's trivia quiz question.

Bob Cohen

 1. Re: Mileposts and distances (NW Mailing List)
 Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 10:58:11 -0700

 I suspect the N&W did similar things where they straightened out kinks
or eliminated sections, as in around Lynchburg when the new Beltline was
opened in the 1913-1914 period and then the line down to Island Yard
eliminated entirely.

When the belt line was built the Belt Line mileposts were numbered with
a PH prefix because it was numbered from PHoebe. Just like the
Petersburg Belt line uses the P prefix for miles posts as it is numbered
with Poe being the starting point, the Farmville belt had the B prefix
as it was Numbered with Burkeville as a starting point. Just like the
Mainline from Norfolk west is N for Norfolk, the Winston-Salem line is R
from Roanoke, the Valley line is H from Hagerstown.

--
Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com
http://www.t-51.org