Thu Dec 22 08:22:02 EST 2016

Last night on the first day of winter 2016, I had the honor of "Takin'
Twenty" with eight of the Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway.
Attending with us was my oldest grandson, Hunter, who is on leave from the
First Calvary at Fort Hood, Texas.  It was great to see him intermingle
with the Brethren and thank each other for their military service.  Hunter
has been taking twenty with the Brethren since he was about 12, and told me
later that he "really appreciated being part of such a group of special men
as these".

 For Show and Tell I took the January issue of "Trains" magazine for the
Brethren to peruse.  Nothing much in this one about NS or VGN.

 The Jewel from the Past this time is from July 2, 2009:  "Ruf and Wis
Sowder told us about how VGN station agents got a commission from the
Railway Express business at their assigned locations.  This was quite a
nice income for them.  Landon remembered he filled in some on vacations and
saw a need to learn the complex paperwork required to get the commissions.
He was 'glad to hear that an agent was going on vacation and I am to fill
in'".

 I was able to pass on to the Brethren the good news that Norfolk Southern
is allowing 611 excursions again in 2017.  To see the schedule go to the
web site of the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

 Since this was our last session before Christmas, there was a lot of
Christmas cheer and talk about past visits from Santa and celebrations.  I
was able to give each attending a 2017 Norfolk Southern calendar as a gift .

 Then there's this:  A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending
divorce.  He asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?"  She replied,
"About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with
a stream running by."  "No," he said , "I mean, what is the foundation of
this case?"  "It is made of concrete, brick, and mortar."  "I mean, what
are your relations like?"  I have an aunt and uncle living here in town,
and so do my husband's parents."  "Do you hold a grudge?"  "No, we have a
two-car carport and have never really needed one."  "Please," the judge
tried again, "Is there any infidelity in your marriage?"  "Yes, both my son
and daughter have stereo sets.  We don't necessarily like the music, but
the answer to your question is yes."  "Ma'am. does your husband ever beat
you up?"  "Yes, about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do."  Finally,
in frustration the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?"  "Oh, I
don't want a divorce," she replied.  "My husband does.  He says he can't
communicate with me."

 Time to pull the pin on this one,

 Merry Christmas!

 Skip Salmon