Virginia Creeper Whistle

Sat Dec 17 08:23:36 EST 2016

My understanding is that it went to the VMT in Roanoke.I asked about it a few years ago and suggested to run it on a tank engine I had access to in order to make some recordings for the museum. I was told at the time that they would 'have to find it first'.  I do not want to assume what that meant, but I do hope it has been 'found' by now.
Will

-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 12/17/16  1:08 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org Cc: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: Virginia Creeper Whistle
I am curious as to what happened to the FT Nichols whistle after Mr. Lee Alley passed away.  I had the privilege of blowing the whistle several times on Mr. Alley's "whizzle machine". I have often wondered what became of the whistle after he passed away. I was told that the whistle was donated to the Smithsonian, but do not see it listed in their online listing of exhibits. I have even seen a poorly-worded YouTube video that makes the claim that the whistle was buried with Mr. Alley. I am just wondering if we will ever hear it blow again. Thanks in advance. Jason Hollifield