Idle signal aspects

Fri Nov 18 22:54:23 EST 2016

Exactly.

Plus, the inconsistency I pointed out. Yes, you will see Clear on the
right-hand main and Stop and Proceed on the left (reverse main) along
some sections of the main line, however you will see Clear on both mains
along other sections of the main line. For example, and this may be
extreme, reverse-main automatics did not display Stop (either Clear or
Approach) between Bluefield and Maybeury, but did display Stop from
Maybeury to Powhatan. From Powhatan to Eckman they did not display Stop,
but did from Eckman to Big Four. If memory serves, reverse-main
automatics on the Christiansburg District displayed Stop with fewer
exceptions. To be sure took access to signal charts, the early CTC
panels, or knowing the territory as a maintainer or experienced bystander.

Grant Carpenter