Thu Oct 20 08:32:54 EDT 2016

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a Happy Birthday card for
Jeff Sanders, a true Friend of the Virginian Railway and President of the
Roanoke Chapter NRHS.  Jeff has inspired me to continue the task of keeping
our Fallen Flag to be known and remembered.  He turns 70 this Sunday.

 Thanks to all of you who requested one of my Friends of the Virginian
Railway 2017 calendars.  All have now been shipped or emailed.

 I showed the Brethren the invitation post card from Ron Mattox with the
Virginian caboose #342 on it, inviting the Brethren to the annual reunion
of former Virginian Railway Employees and friends to be held Saturday
October 29, 2016 at the Uptown Coffee Cafe in Victoria, VA, at noon.
Several of us plan to attend.  Also I told the men about the recent
Virginian weekend in Mullens event.  Thanks to Tom and Frank for keeping
this going.  Hope to have a group there next year.

 For Show and Tell I took my recently received Amtrak Pass, or as they call
it a 'rail travel privilege card". This prompted a discussion about the
Amtrak take over of passenger service in the 70's with many memories of
using their old passes.  Most already knew conductors, and didn't need to
show anything to ride...

 The Jewel from the Past is from May 28, 2009:  "Then it was time to
lighten it up a bit.  I asked the Brethren a pressing question"'What is RED
and smells like BLUE paint?'.....red paint.  Then Landon Gregory shared an
actual Church Bulletin announcement:  'Ladies, don't forget the rummage
sale next Saturday.  It's a good chance to get rid of those things not
worth keeping around the house.  Be sure to bring your husband".

 I showed the Brethren a copy of a prestigious award given to the Roanoke
Chapter NRHS on Monday.  It is the annual "Gabriella Page Preservation
Award" for their "outstanding work restoring the Virginian Railway Station
in Roanoke".  This was given by the APVA for outstanding work in the State
of Virginia.

 Then there's this:  A man goes to visit his ninety-year-old grandfather.
While eating the eggs and bacon that were prepared for him, he notices a
film-like substance on his plate.  So he says, "Grandfather are these
plates clean?"  His grandfather replies "Those plates are as clean as cold
water can get them, so go on and finish your meal."  That afternoon while
eating the hamburgers his grandfather made for lunch, he notices many
little black specks around the edge oh his plate, so again he asks,
"Grandfather, are you sure those plates are clean?"  Without looking up
from his burger, the grandfather says, "I told you those dishes are as
clean as cold water can get them".  Later that day, as the man is leaving
the house, the grandfather's dog, who's lying on the floor, starts to growl
and will not let him pass.  "Grandfather, your dog won't let me out," says
the grandson.  Without diverting his attention from the football game he's
watching, the grandfather shouts, "Coldwater, get out of the way!".

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DCXXIV