12 pole bridges

Thu Oct 6 14:31:28 EDT 2016

Was able to complete the first half (Lenore to Dunlow) of my 12 pole
bridges outing this week and thought I'd share some photos.  Also have some
questions.  Of the remaining bridges that appear to have been built by the
railroad, it looks like there are to major types:  open-lattice truss
(built mostly from angle), and plate girder.  I would hazard the guess that
the open-lattice type was what was originally built when the line was put
through in the 1890s and then wash-outs and other problems caused some of
them to be rebuilt/replaced with solid plate construction.  Any bridge
historians out there that can comment on this?  Also, does anybody know of
a list of bridges and/or bridge numbers on the original Ohio Extension.
For my own record keeping on this trip, I numbered the ones that I shot
simply by miles from Lenore, but would like to relate them to N&W numbers.
Jim Cochran

Moderator: