NW vs NS intermediate signals

Thu Sep 29 12:11:36 EDT 2016

Jim,
     Approach is all you need.

The definition of "Approach" is: "Proceed preparing to stop at the next
signal. Train or engine exceeding Medium Speed must at once reduce to
that speed".

The definition of "Approach Restricted" is: "Proceed approaching next
signal at Restricted Speed, not exceeding 15 mph. Train or engine
exceeding Medium Speed must at once reduce to that speed." This signal
by definition is pretty darn ambiguous. Where the approach normally
means there is nothing in the block, yet, you have to run at "Restricted
Speed" and all that ensues and if you hit something it's your butt! A
rule custom made for the "Weed Weasels" to bust your butt!!!

Jimmy Lisle