NW vs NS intermediate signals

Wed Sep 28 10:34:34 EDT 2016

The Approach Restricting indication was briefly in the position-light
rulebook.  Until someone came to the conclusion that it might be possible
for a caboose or other obstruction to be right past the next signal
displaying a restricting indication, and if a train wasn't prepared to stop
he'd be into it before he could get stopped.  So the Approach Restricting
signal was taken out.  I only know of one application of it - at Renick
Tower, when a westbound was lined onto the B&O connection.  The Approach
Restricting signal didn't require you to be prepared to stop before passing
the next signal.  Even if you needed to be.

EdKing