N&W "Pg" coach to Pennsy?

Tue Sep 27 14:25:29 EDT 2016

A photo of the N&W Class PG coach, taken toward the end of her life and
dated 1977, has surfaced, and I have attached it.

The coach is shown in Penn Central green in this photo.   Information
gathered from several locals indicates the coach was used as an instruction
car for Engine House personnel, beginning at a date which is undetermined.
By the time the car was no longer needed for this purpose, track changes
had left it marooned without a switch at either end, and it was cut up in
place.  I was transferred from Philadelphia to Enola as Night Trainmaster
in August 1981, and I do not recall seeing it as of my time there.

The photo was taken from the highway on the hill overlooking the Enola East
Hump, and looks southeastwardly.  The gray wooden building is the East Hump
Yard Master's Office, and Tower A is visible at far right.  (Enola had both
Eastbound and Westbound Humps.)   The large brick building behind the coach
is the compressor house, and the immense steel structure behind that is the
Steel Car Shop, where cars were erected.  The Susquehanna River is in the
upper left background.  The rather gaudily painted GG-1 was Conrail's
contibution to the 1976 Bi-Centennial.  The story is that an engine painter
at Harrisburg Engine House was told to paint the engine in a Bi-Centennial
scheme, but was given no drawings.  It is said that he took his paterns and
inspiration from a popular Bi-Centennial themed paper cup design used in
coffee vending machines at that time.  The result was this slightly gaudy
embarassment. (By the time I came to Conrail in April 1979, they had
rectified this eyesore by painting it back into standard engine black.)

-- abram burnett