Foreign Interlockings

Mon Sep 26 08:16:01 EDT 2016

On 9/25/2016 4:01 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Back in 1930 the N&W had 60 interlockings; 40 were owned and operated
> by the N&W, 20 by foreign roads where they crossed and/or intersected
> with the N&W.  Here are 10 foreign interlockings that I have found so
> far: Lynchburg, C&O; St Paul, CRR; Clare, PRR; Bannon, NYC; Ironton,
> DT&I; WS in Winston Salem, SOU?; Walnut St, VGN; Glasgow, C&O; Loch
> Laird, C&O; Hager, PRR.  Where are the other 10? Some have to be in
> the Norfolk area, others in Cincinnati. They don’t have to be in
> towers; some could be in stations or yard offices, but c. 1930.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
> Glenn Fisher
> Cornwall PA
There was interlockings at Riverton, Va. (Sou) and Charlestown, WVa. (B&O).

I have to question Glasgow, Va. being called an "interlocking" as the
C&O did not cross the N&W at this point. The C&O had trackage rights
from Glasgow to Loch Laird and their access to the N&W was through a
connection track to Balcony Falls.

Loch Laird was a different matter as the Richmond & Allegheny (later
C&O) crossed the N&W at this point at grade. Later this interlocking was
taken out when the C&O was given trackage rights on the N&W on the other
side of the river.

Jimmy Lisle