Wreck at Jug Neck curve

Fri Jul 29 22:02:41 EDT 2016

I am looking for the date of a wreck that my great-grandfather included in his autobiography. The following is a quote from same.

"On another occasion I was riding in the left side of the cab of passenger engine No. 72 with Charlie Akers, engineer, and Dick Moran, fireman. Going up to Bluefield from New River as we were rounding Jug Neck curve, I saw ahead a rock slide across the track. I gave a yell and threw myself out of the cab window, falling down the embankment of loose stones to the creek. No bones broken. I heard a roar and crash. After clambering up the side of the bank, I found the engine lying on its side with the steam and water squirting out of the broken check-valve and safety-valve. When we got Akers and Moran out of the wreck and scalding steam they were both badly burned. We got some black car oil out of the baggage car hot-box bucket and smeared them both over with oil to keep the air off the burns until they could be properly treated."

Does anyone recognize that wreck? Unfortunately I can only narrow it down to 1882-1900, the years he worked for the Shenandoah Valley Railroad and the N & W. I would be very grateful for any assistance. I actually have three or four more wrecks I am trying to date but thought I would start with one. Of course, I already have the date for the wreck at Thaxton.

Thanks,

Peter Getz

prrgetz at hotmail.com