What changed when and why

Thu Jul 14 15:02:38 EDT 2016

Jim,

Yes, the first shot is of an eastbound at the North Fork Hollow road
crossing, now Cherokee Road, but the second shot is of a westbound at
Burke road crossing (Miller St) in Keystone.

In the first shot, the signal behind the 2177 is controlled signal #106L
used as a hold-out to protect the cluster of the junction, Byrd Yard and
station. The yard had the North Fork Branch main track as a lead, but
the pullout was on the west end of Byrd, there was a double crossover to
the WB main on the east end at the junction with the North Fork Branch,
a facing crossover WB main to EB main, and the North Fork Middle Track.
All had hand-throws and the Middle Track was dark.

Yes, River crews picking up WB loads from the head end at North Fork and
Elk Ridge Storage or Elkhorn crews picking up EB loads could block the
crossing while coupling up, but they were supposed to cut off so as not
to block it and the brakeman would cut through the neighborhood to
eventually meet the head end crew at the storage tracks next to the
branch line. Byrd Yard was used a lot for empties going to Keystone.

Signal changes were the eventual removal of #3855B (and #3862), #106L
(and #106R) and installation of eastward automatics on each main as
distant signals to Kyle. I believe all (?) turnouts are gone in North
Fork. #94L is the controlled signal in the Burke photo and it could
display restricting when lined for Eckman Yard. It has been moved around
the curve to the Keystone crossover.

Some of this was covered in a thread a while back and I believe you
asked about Eckman operations. I have continued to slowly collect info
since and I'll try to pull something together.

Grant Carpenter