Saltville Branch

Tue Jul 5 07:01:17 EDT 2016

At the Museum of the Middle Appalachians in Saltville, the present
historical photographs display includes this shot showing coaches on the
end of the local freight at the depot. When I began shooting in this my
wife's home town I was not aware that passenger service still
existed. Also, Harry Haynes at the Museum told me that it was commonplace
for a coach to be uncoupled while the freight made deliveries on industry
sidings coming in from Glade Spring. The brakeman then controlled the
down-grade roll toward Saltville making it possible to
accommodate passengers at flag stops along the way. I leave it to other
members of the group to verify that bit of home-spun railroading.

Mike Pierry, Jr.

Moderator: