M #382 at Bristol

Sat Jul 2 10:26:49 EDT 2016

Brent -

The 382 and 429 had superheaters and were the favored Branch engines; the 382 was the favorite of the two but nobody could offer a reason why.  The 429 still had inside steam passages and the 382 the prominent outside steam pipes.  Also, they had differing check valve locations.

The 396 had the big tender but no superheater, and was used when the other two weren’t available; the crews hated it.  The lack of a superheater made a big difference in performance and coal consumption.

The 433 had the small USRA tender; it was the pusher on the three engine trains but didn’t go past White Top; I don’t know if it ever made it to West Jefferson.  It has no superheater.  It was lined up to be the second engine of a doubleheader once, but burst a flue on the way to Abingdon and was brought back to Bristol from there by the local freight.  It was repaired, of course, and worked the yard after that.  With the small tender, it took water at Creek Junction.  The 12,000 gallon tenders could make it all the way to West Jefferson.

Another superheated M, the 495, worked the branch for a while – it was the star of Reid and Thieme’s photographic foray.  It was scrapped in 1953.

Other non-superheated Ms that worked in Bristol were the 376, 379, 405, 421 (the one with Stephenson valve gear that was lame in reverse), 434, and 467.  There may have been others that I missed.

The 475 came to Bristol in its “duded up” condition in 1956 to help Bristol in its Centennial celebration, but it didn’t come and go under its own power.

Hope this helps.

EdKing