"Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethen by Skip Salmon

Thu Jun 23 08:02:08 EDT 2016

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a Happy Birthday card for
Friend of the Virginian Ernie Hubble, son of the famous "Red" Hubble,
Virginian Roundhouse Foreman.  Ernie also has several other relatives who
worked for the VGN in Victoria and Roanoke.  He turns 74 on Sunday.

 We discussed the current political situation but this report is not the
place to forward this type of info. However I can tell you no one is happy
with the choices we will have to make in November.

 The talk turned to a subject and a word used at the turn of the twentieth
century by railroad men that has an entirely different meaning now,
"hacking".  Now it means when a computer guru gets into your personal
information or gains access to your ID, via the Internet.  Then it meant
something entirely different.  If you know how it was used then, send the
answer to me on the back of a 1937 Virginian Railway issued calendar, as
described in H. Reid's book on page 90.  Carl Buckholtz, VGN President
talked about this when he asked for a VGN logo to be designed. The first
person sending the correct answer to my home address, will receive a
genuine replica of a VGN white and green China egg cup, in the return snail
mail.

 The ebay report this time includes the following VGN RWY items sold:  1913
VGN RWY system Timetable for $140.09.  "Coal on the Move" booklet for
$19.95; VGN matchbook cover for $2.99 and a VGN Safety First Patch (modern)
for $11.99.

 The Jewel from the Past, like those in a 21 Jeweled 1947 Hamilton 992B
Railway Special, double sunk Montgomery dial, is from March 5, 2009:
"After watching the circus train video, Scotty said 'I know a few people
here who should be on it'.  Rufus Wingfield remembered Benny Russeau, a
Virginian Brakeman who came to Roanoke with a circus train about 1954 as a
roustabout.  The circus at that time, parked the train near the VGN Yard
and set up the big tents at Maher Field beside Victory Stadium in Roanoke.
Benny met a girl at the circus, fell in love, stayed, and got a job with
the VGN.

 I told the Brethren that the VGN Station in Roanoke is almost ready for a
certificate of occupancy.  The terrazzo floor people are supposed to be
finished by this Friday and when all the punch list items are finished we
will soon announce a celebration event to open her up.

 Then there's this:  Carl hit rock bottom.  He was going to jail for
insider trading and it couldn't get much worse than that.  As the jail
warden brought him to his cell, his worst fears were materialized.  Sitting
hunched over on a bed was his soon to be roommate.  He was a hunk of a man
wearing a sleeveless undershirt with vicious looking tattoos on each arm.
As Carl approached the prison cell the giant looked up at him and said in a
deep booming voice, "Hey man, what did you do to get yourself in here?"
"White collar crime" responded Carl nervously.  "Hey man, how about that?
Me too," the giant said.  "Phew," said Carl feeling his body relaxing, "To
be honest I got a bit nervous when I saw you."  "Nah" responded the giant
waving his hand " what's there to be nervous about?" "So tell me,"
questioned the giant, " How many priest's did you kill?"

 Time to pull the pin on this one.

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon

 DCIX