N&W Exit from LCL Business... Date?

Sun Jun 19 13:37:50 EDT 2016

Adding to Abram's question, my understanding is that a "peddler car" bringing LCL freight to depots didn't operate every day towards the end of this service.  Instead, I think they were scheduled to be handled on local freight trains about once or twice weekly, depending upon traffic volume.  Also, I suppose a brakeman plus the agent at wayside stations transferred the freight from the car onto a trackside wagon.  Large cities such as Hagerstown or Waynesboro may have had cars loaded only for that station which were spotted at the freight house.

Probably in the mid-1960s.  One of the biggest customers of less-than-car traffic was Sears.
Toward the end of l-c-l service, L&D (loss and damage) claims increased to a point that
railroads didn't investigate the claim -- just paid it out of pocket -- too many man-hours doing
research.  Even into the 1970s, MoPac continued to provide l-c-l service.  Unlike Railway
Express, I don't believe the agent got a commission to handle l-c-l traffic.  Regardless of
the volume, l-c-l traffic between major cities was dispatched daily.  There was l-c-l traffic
forwarded in what was known as "break bulk" cars -- e.g. Norfolk would dispatch a "break
bulk" car to Roanoke with shipments destined Roanoke, Winston, Waynesboro, Radford, etc.
Cars for beyond Roanoke would be cross-platformed to the appropriate car.  Harry Bundy