N&W 611 and other J Class Locomotive Cab Interiors

Fri Apr 8 09:51:21 EDT 2016

I beg to differ Harold. The chrome valve handles, throttle and reverse as
well as gauge trim rings were standard for streamlined passenger
locomotives beginning with Class J No. 600 in October 1941.

The varnished wood was done in 1982, and originally a green. In addition,
the seatboxes were replaced with diesel seats, I think out of E-8s. The
brake stand was changed to a 26 brake for ease of getting repair or
replacement parts, in addition, a number of gauges were replaced with more
modern gauges.

See the attached N&W photo from my book on the Class J, dated October 1941
of the 600's cab. When built, the 611's gauges were somewhat different.

Ken Miller

Moderator:

Joseph: The chrome was applied in the restoration in 1982. Also the