Heading to ride 611! Need some trip info!

Thu Apr 7 09:54:36 EDT 2016

Ray:

I cannot argue with either Bruce's or Toney's suggestions. But I will agree with Bruce that it may take longer than Google suggests.

However, I'm not sure what you are planning here, if I read correct you are riding the Strasburg on Friday, driving to Cass, Friday afternoon and evening. Once you leave I-81, it becomes mostly two lane, winding roads to Cass, regardless of route.

Now, unless there is something special going on, Cass is not running until Memorial Day as far as I know. So not much to do there, short of maybe a shop tour or town tour. In the present weather, I really don't recommend either outside events.

Now, I don't know how long you planned to stay at Cass, but it is nearly a three hour drive to Roanoke, and not a lot but two lane roads until you get down 220 a bit from Clifton Forge.

Now, you are aware that 611 is not in Roanoke at present, and is running from Spencer to Lynchburg (about an hour drive from Roanoke) arriving at noon, and return on Saturday, and then from Spencer to Asheville on Sunday. About the closest to Roanoke the 611 will be then is more than 2 hours away, and that is leaving Spencer at 7:00 am.

Just making sure you knew the schedule. Not that there is anything wrong with Roanoke, its just 611 is not home at the present, and won't be for a week or two.

Ken Miller