Shovel helper

Thu Mar 24 08:58:59 EDT 2016

Many large machines have (had ?) a ground man to assist with the work.

On a drag line, he wascalled the Greaser. On small cranes the railroad MW Department used, he was sometimes called the Crane Attendant and, in addition to other things, handled the switches as the crane moved around. I have also heard him called the Hook-Up Man (i.e., the person who connects the hook to the load or chain or sling.)

I have no systematic knowledge of this topic, and these are only observations made from conversations I heard years ago. I never worked around a real steam shovel, but the above may give you some ideas.

     -- abram burnett
           FTF-V
(First Turnip-Farmers of Virginia)