David W. Flickwir - Photograph of Machinery

Thu Feb 25 11:48:31 EST 2016

David W. Flickwir of Roanoke Va was awarded the contract for Section 4 of the Dry Fork Extension from  Canebrake WV to Cedar Bluff VA from MP I-36.580 to I-39.781 on Feb 4, 1910. Work assigned to Flickwir included 4,769-foot Summit Tunnel and Bridge No.2291. Flickwir submitted the final bill for construction in April 1914.  (NWHS publication “Dry Fork – Norfolk & western Branch Line,” pages 12-13.)

Flickwir served on the N&W Board of Directors for a number of years and his construction company was awarded a number of N&W construction contracts.

Alex Schust