new question (N&W Caboose Markers)

Mon Feb 22 11:35:56 EST 2016

/On 2/22/2016 10:21 AM, NW Mailing List wrote://
/
> /There was an earlier period (mid- to late-1960s) when some of the
> steel cabooses had been *_experimentally_* equipped with Propane gas
> for heating and illumination, but that was a rather _*short-lived
> experiment*_. The propane tank under these cabooses was considered
> dangerous by those who worked on them. The lamps were extremely hot
> and made the cabooses uncomfortably warm. To carburate the fuel, the
> lamps used a clay-covered gauze hat-like "mantle" made in Canada, and
> these things were notoriously fragile, were difficult to light and
> were constantly breaking. /
> -- abram burnett

Abe, et al:
     It was not an experiment and it was not short-lived. Most, but not
all, of the cabs were equipped with propane to power the lights, the
heater and the "Hot-plates". When the electric lights and markers were
installed, the heater and hot-plates were still powered by propane gas
and stayed that way. If any of the cabs today are still heated, I am
sure they are still heated with propane.
     From time to time there was an odd-ball cab, I had at least two,
that would show up that still had a coal stove in it for heat.

Jimmy Lisle