Pullman question What do we really know???

Sun Jan 31 18:36:31 EST 2016

The divestiture of equipment did not occur until December 31st, 1948.

CHILHOWIE ex-EAST BRADFORD, GALAX ex-EAST CANTON,  LOWRY ex-EAST CHARLOTTE, SUNSTAR ROSE ex-ORANGE CREEK and VULCAN ex-RED ELM were the four Plan 3410/3410A 12 Section - 1 Drawing Room sleepers that were acquired by the N&W.  VULCAN was repainted into N&W paint in 1951, GALAX and LOWRY were repainted in 1952 and SUNSTAR ROSE was repainted in 1953.  As mentioned earlier CHILHOWIE was never repainted into N&W paint.  All cars remained in service leased to Pullman until 1962, being removed between May and November of '62.

In addition to these cars there were also the CUTTYHUNK, a Plan 2410H 12 Section - 1 Drawing Room sleeper which was about a foot shorter than the other 12-1s but was externally nearly identical, having the same window pattern of the other cars.  It received N&W paint in '53 and was not removed from Pullman lease until August 1962.  And the two Plan 3973A 10 Section - 1 Drawing Room - 1 Compartment cars ISLAND REGAL and ISLAND ROSE, both repainted in N&W paint in '50 and removed from Pullman lease in May '62 and February '64 respectively .

And then there were the Plan 3521F and 3521G 10 Section - lounge cars rebuilt from observation cars, none of which were ever owned by the N&W but remained in service into the 60s.  APPOMATTOX COUNTY, ex-APPOMATTOX, nee-MONTE BLANCO, BOTETOURT COUNTY ex- BOTETOURT, nee-MOUNTE CAVO, DINWIDDIE COUNTY, ex-DINWIDDIE, nee-MT. ANGELES, NANSEMOND COUNTY, ex-NANSEMOND, nee-MT. SLYEN, ROANOKE COUNTY, ex-MT. TURNBULL and NORFOLK COUNTY, ex-MT. WOOD were all repainted into N&W paint with PULLMAN lettering between 1950 and 1954 with all except ROANOKE COUNTY remaining in that paint until retired by Pullman between '64 and '68, ROANOKE COUNTY being repainted in Pullman two-tone gray in August of '57.  Folks should remember that DINWIDDIE COUNTY is still with us, owned by Old Dominion Chapter, N.R.H.S.

I appreciate Rick Morrison mentioning that the Plan 3521 cars were used on the POKEY and the CAVALIER, I actually was going to ask about these cars assignments but he saved me the trouble.  Does anyone know how long these cars remained in service on these trains?

I am not sure what happened to the link to the Pullman Project... something in my email account messed the link up royally so I wanted to repeat it here, out of the hope of getting it to work.  The url for the site is:

http://www.pullmanproject.com/

Another great resource is the book, THE COMPLETE ROSTER OF PULLMAN HEAVYWEIGHT PASSENGER CARS that was published in 1985 by Wayner Publications.  It details in depth many of the dispositions of Pullman cars after divestiture, providing some info on what railroads did with these cars when they obtained them.  I am fortunenate to have a scanned copy of the book since it is very difficult to find it these days on eBay and usually it is rather expensive, which is par for a resource such as it is, though it does not document rebuildings like what happened with the Plan 3521 cars nor does it entail the various paint schemes cars wore.  That is one thing that makes the Pullman Car Construction Records file so valuable is because it does document every rebuilding and every paint scheme that cars went through to divestiture and after wards, if the cars were leased to Pullman after they were transferred to various railroads.

The CCR is a complete document but as has been mentioned its a little hard to navagate unless you know how to work with an Excel file.  Excel has the unique feature of providing AutoFilter which allows you to search entries in an entire collumn though it takes a little experimentation to figure out how it works.  One thing is certain, you will not find more complete information on Pullman cars than the CCR anywhere because Tom Madden has invested many, many hours to make the file complete with everything you would ever want to know about each Pullman car except for disposition information such as what each railroad did with the car after they acquired them except for being leased back to Pullman and when cars were withdrawn from Pullman lease.

--

jerry
<jmlaboda at passcarphotos.info<mailto:jmlaboda at gmail.com>>

"N"quiring minds want to know!!!

HAVING AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE...

PROUD FATHER OF A WINNING COSPLAY DAUGHTER!!!

Passenger Car Photo Index -- UPDATED 8/2/15 WITH OVER 10,672 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
<http://passcarphotos.info<http://passcarphotos.info/>>

N-scale Varnish Passenger Car User's Guide
<http://n-scalevarnish.info/index/varnish/UsersGuide/>