signal apparatus

Thu Jan 28 17:45:06 EST 2016

Hi Jim

There is a photo taken at the same location on page 147 of 'Norfolk &
Western's Shenandoah Valley Line' by Mason Y. Cooper. The caption to the
photo gives the location as 'the north end of the relay yard at Vardo'. The
two GP-9 units also give a clue as to the date of the photo. #762 and #765
were part of the first batch #762-767 ordered as passenger locos and built
Feb.1957. They carried black paint and steam-era style lettering. The second
batch of passenger locos #506-521 were built Nov./Dec. 1958 and were
Redbirds and with larger fuel tanks. At the same time or shortly afterwards
the first batch were retrofitted with larger fuel tanks, painted red and
renumbered #500-505.

Bob Gellatly

Sheffield UK

  _____