Thu Jan 28 08:18:48 EST 2016

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with six of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Back with us was Raymond East,
Virginian Engineer, who has been recovering from surgery.  Most of the
conversation was about the weather (12+ inches of snow) and how each of us
coped with it.  All were preturbed with VDOT and how they plowed mountains
of snow in front of our mail boxes.  I got delivery first on Tuesday with a
warning from the US PO about no more deliveries until I cleaned a space 30
foot long for the mail truck to get to the box.  He had to actually get out
of the truck and deliver the message, so why could he not deliver my mail?
I told the Brethren about my little "paper lady" who drives a minivan and
delivered Saturday and Sunday's paper to the same spot the mail box is
located.  Shame on you postal service!

We also talked some about the newest NS news release about their "cutting
back" and fourth quarter 2015 reports.  NS CEO James A. Squires reported
details reguarding the NS strategic plan to streamline operations and drive
profitability and growth up, with a goal of having an operating ratio (what
at takes to generate one dollar) (VGN RWY was near.50 in 1959 at merger
with N&W) to below .70 in 2016, and below .65 by 2020.   One way Squires
announced to do this is to reduce employees by 2,000, locomotives in
service by 400, and other cuts.  We wonder what is next in the battle to
keep the Canadians at bay?

The ebay report this time has several interesting items sold:  Belt buckle
made from the front of a VGN RWY heartshaped lock for $33; VGN
classification charts for passenger cars for $60; Heart Shaped lock for
$599.99 with 28 bids, roof slate from Princeton Depot for $28.77; 1931
Electric Power System handbook for $86; Safety first pin for $98 and a VGN
railway conductor button that looks exactly like one out of the sets of
buttons I have sold , made from the original dyes, for $35.

The Jewel from the Past, like those in a 1902 Hampten 21 jeweled size #18,
lever set, "John Handcock" marked "Illinois Watch Co. 1/4 gold" is from
December 11, 2008:  " Raymond East recalled L. T. "Bugle" Wheeling, VGN
Yard Engineer, who had a hot hand on the throttle.  Ruf said "I've seen him
go through #9 in the yard at 40 MPH".  Landon Gregory remembered an N&W
Powatan Arrow Engineer, Luther Pasley, who once left Bedford 15 minutes
late and made it to Roanoke on time.  Someone remembered Frank D. Creasy
who "would let a hobo run his engine in the yard, if he asked" and Joe
Jewell who was famous for the "Twister" incident.  A "twister" is a small
piece of aluminum foil or paper rolled up and placed in the nostrils of a
sleeping employee.  Seems Frank was caught asleep and someone put
"twisters" up his nose and when he suddendly woke up choaking, he
threatened an investigation.  He was told OK, but we will have to tell them
what you were doing when twisted!"

Then there's this:  An old man lay sprawled across three entire seats at a
concert.  When the usher came by and noticed this, he whispered to the old
man "Sorry sir, but you're only allowed one seat."  The old man didn't
budge.  The usher became more impatient.  "Sir, if you don't get up from
there, I'm going to have call the manager."  Once again, the old man just
muttered and did nothing.  The usher marched briskly back up the aisle, and
in a moment he returned with the manager.  Together the two of them tried
repeatedly to move the old dishevelled man, but with no success.  Finally
they summoned the police.  The officer surveyed the situation briefly then
asked, "All right buddy, what's your name?"  "Fred," the old man moaned.
 "Where you from, Fred?" asked the police officer.  With a terrible strain
in his voice, and without moving, Fred replied:  "The balcony"...

Time to pull the pin from this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

DXCII