Current Pokey Info

Fri Jan 22 22:31:38 EST 2016

Russ, Bluestone Inc idled their prep. plant at Keystone in 2012. The switch
to the siding has been removed as well. They still keep it lit up. My guess
is that it could be fired back up if coal business ever makes a comeback.
Evan, Carbo is still hanging in. It still serves as a base for
Carbo-Williamson jobs and pushers. Shifters are called out of Carbo but its
not very often. There are still a few shifters called out of Williamson
each day. Sunny Ridge (Thomas,KY) and Jamboree (Near where the old Chisolm
Mine was) still load a few unit trains each week.Williamson crews take care
of both of these. Cabs are required for back up move up the branch from
Arrow. Yes, there are still a few single car operations left. Two I can
think of are Switchback (Mainline), U.S. No.8 (Sand Lick Branch out of
Gary). There are several still running on the old Interstate Line around
Norton. I guess you could say Buc 2 here on the Buchanan Branch is. They
have a unit train capacity but have been loading small shipments. They use
a re-engined ALCO switcher to load cars with. For now, the Buchanan Branch
is the leading producer of coal on the Pokey. The huge Consol Buchanan Mine
loads anywhere from 7 to 12 trains a week. It is the largest mine in the
state of Virginia. If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll
answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Chase Freeman
Grundy,VA