M-2c Class Details

Mon Jan 18 21:46:36 EST 2016

Roger -

If you Google the Hobart-Alfree cylinders, you’ll find that they were incorporated a second valve supposedly to give a quicker admission of steam to the cylinder and quicker exhaust.  There was a slide-valve version called the Allfree-Hubble valve which was used on one class W engine; I believe it was reclassed as W-3 and didn’t last very long (the lone W-4 engine was equipped with Walschaerts valve gear and I’d love to see a photo of it).  The Pacifics equipped with the H-A cylinders had their valve gear arranged differently from the rest; the combination lever was hung from the valve stem instead of the Baker bell crank.

EdK