K locomotives on the N&W main line

Mon Dec 7 12:54:24 EST 2015

Frank,

When I worked in the N&W shop in Durham, NC, summers of 1952, 53 and 54, the
passenger engines on the Durham line were unstreamilined K-1 locomotives.
In June and July 1954 I worked on the N&W weed spray train (I covered the
entire N&W east of Williamson, WV at 13 mph), and when we sprayed the Durham
line we were pushed by a streamlined K2 with its chime whistle.  Because
none of the regular locomotives on the Durham line were equipped with chime
whistles, it was a curiosity to see how many people came running out of
their houses to see what was making that unfamiliar, beautiful whistle sound
that came out of the K2!

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 1:38 PM
Subject: K locomotives on the N&W main line