B&W

Tue Oct 13 16:34:52 EDT 2015

Thanks Harry,
I made one trip to Bluefield (at night, of course), so I've never known the track layout of the area.
Jeff Sanders

 Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:17 AM
 Subject: Re: B&W

Was (is) there separate EB & WB mains through Bluefield? If so, are they side-by-side in the photo?

Jeff:According to the TC machine I rescued from the Signal Shop,the EB & WB mains were separate.  There was anotherthruway for westbounds at Bluefield that probably doesn'tshow in the photo -- the Radford Division pull-in.  It ran tothe north side of the East Yard and on to the Mercer Streetoverhead bridge and west. It was used by westbounds needing no switching.  Beyond the interlocking near "RD",it was not signaled.  At the East Yard office one night, Isaw a hopper train westbound on the pull-in.  Engines froma run off the Clinch Valley, cut off from its train and headedfor the shops with the power, entering the pull-in in frontof the hopper train.  The hopper train went into emergency,the conductor who was standing to detrain at the yard gotthrown against the caboose's door knob and the only wayto get him to the emergency room was to have him transferredfrom the caboose to a motor car that relayed him to anambulance at the East Yard office.          Harry Bundy