Blackened Number Board Frames Class J

Sat Sep 26 09:09:17 EDT 2015

The photo in question was dated February 23, 1953.  It was by Bill Price and the prints were sold by Tom Klinger.  One of a set of J photos, and it is the only one with black numberboard frames.  A mystery to me at that date.

--Rick Morrison
  Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 10:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Blackened Number Board Frames Class J

  It appears that this photo was taken prior to removal of the skirts on the passenger cars, so was pre 1955 or so. Also, only one headend car supports this view as after the locals were discontinued in 1957 No. 4 usually had four headend cars.

    Ray Smoot

  Sent from my iPad

    I'll hazard a guess based on my study of 611's last few months. When she was stored at Shaffers Crossing in early July 1959 in an Aubrey Wiley photo, the nose looked terrible, dusty, streaked with dirt. I think before she was pulled out to handle an Appalachian Power special in August 1959, someone at Shaffers repainted the nose, an was not too careful to mask off the chrome numberboards and headlight ring. It is quite likely whoever did the same to 613 after a shopping.

    In addition, with wear and tear on the chrome in regular service, it could easily have been flaking badly, and someone just decided to touch it up with more black paint. Those who have seen or are lucky enough to own one of the chromed builder's plates or class plates know how the chome is virtually gone on most of them.

    If there is a better answer, I'd love to hear it.

    Ken Miller