Wooden caboose interiors

Tue Sep 22 12:52:28 EDT 2015

Jim

Based on what I observed over the years, including restoration of my VGN 342, which was based on N&W plans, it was a bead board interior later covered over on many cabs with plywood sheathing, both ceiling and walls. The floors were flat tongue and groove boards with no rolled edges.

Now on paint, that varied over time, they were originally a sort of lime green much like the passenger car interiors, then it became the suede grey (which is nasty greenish-grey paint). The green in steam locomotive cabs was a much darker, like forest green.  Now diesel cabs and interiors were the same suede grey paint.

When I restored 342, I found the original interior paint was a true battleship grey, that color was inside a box that had only been repainted one time, to suede grey.

Ken Miller