Them Ol' Steem injines

Fri Aug 21 15:49:56 EDT 2015

When I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Eustis (Newport News) 1967-69, I
was told that C&O routinely pushed loaded coal trains out of Fulton Yard in
Richmond with a switcher.  Once they crested the grade it was downhill all
the rest of the way to Newport News.  Switching the power on those trains
from three GP-9s to two GP-38s slowed them noticeably, which shouldn't have
surprised anyone but apparently did.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/18/2015 7:00:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,