Them Ol' Steem injines

Mon Aug 17 15:39:26 EDT 2015

ED,

Old
head yard engineers in Williamson have told me about pushing westbound loads to
help get them started out of the yard and cut off on the fly at the westend of
the yard.  Some of the stories I’ve heard are pretty interesting.

-Jeff
Hensley.

Class
A engines didn?t start the 16,000 ton trains at Williamson all at once.  They took full advantage of the slack,
too.  And that practice was carried on in
diesel days; faced with getting away from Williamson (and it was practically
dead level) with two GP30s and a 20,000 ton train, there was no way you could
start them with the slack stretched.  You
jockeyed back and forth until you had them all coming, and then advanced the
throttle as much as you could.  Starting
them a car at a time was a lot easier than trying to start them all at once, as
had been learned long ago.