Numbers, LOTS of numbers here..

Wed Aug 12 14:53:16 EDT 2015

Andy:

Interesting and valuable summary, thank you - but some issues.   Let's
start here:
"Note:  Pulling force or tractive effort was one of the only quantities
that was  determined almost entirely from the locomotive's geometry. It was
generally the  limiting facter in determining the size of the train the
locomotive could  pull."  Then, the author/compiler proceeds to give  us a starting
tractive effort formula -
          c P (d)^2 s

     TE = -----------

TE  = tractive effort in lbs
c  = a constant determined by the mean effective pressure and friction
(usually  85%)
P  = boiler pressure
d  = piston diameter
s  = piston stroke
D  = driver diameter

This is, of course, the classic "work in = work out" TE  formula.  But, for
starters, he has "c" which very much was at least as  much an "experience"
factor as a "geometry" factor.  It takes into account  cutoff % as well as
pressure losses between the safety valve setting and what  actually presses
against the pistons.  As it happens, other sources  (Parker, for example)
also quote 85%, so we won't quibble about the value he  uses.

Now, unless my high school geometry teacher was fibbing, the  area of a
circle is = pi*d^2/4.  The total work done in a four cylinder  locomotive like
his Big Boy example requires a factor of 8=the stroke twice  (back and
forth) times the number of cylinders, four for a Big Boy.  So,  mathematically
his "2" in his example is correct, but explanation-wise he's left  a big hole.
 And, where is "pi"?  Well, again, it's hidden in the  mathematics - "work
out" is TE times driver circumference, the latter being  pi*D.  So the two
missing "pi" factors cancel out.

IMHO, a more complete explanation would have been much more  helpful to
those for whom this is new knowledge, and those more versed in the  subject
would have understood the value of that complete  explanation.

Now, more observations.  The SP GS-4 DBHP number looks  suspicious.  The
Trains Magazine 4-8-4 DBHP graph for RR-designed 4-8-4s  shows about 4050 DBHP
for a GS-4, not 5500.  Is there documentation on  this?  The PRR T-1 number
is also WAY above the Trains graph.  Might  that have been an Altoona
number, in which case it's almost certainly rail  horsepower at the drivers, not
DBHP?

Anyway, to end on a well-earned positive, this is a great  summary, and
thanks for bringing it to our attention.  I've tried to be as
positive/contributory as possible in my comments; I have no interest in  nit-picking for the
sake of scoring points.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/12/2015 1:55:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,