Question about Virginian Class AE operations following Clarks Gap electrification

Sun Aug 2 11:25:34 EDT 2015

I also knew Clyde and spoke to him the same week he passed away.  He gave me a great account of the night the 800 blew up between Stewartsville and Goodview.  He said he spoke to the young fireman the night when he gave the orders.  After the "wreck", and before he knew what had actually happened (low water), word got back to JK where Clyde worked, and he thought that maybe he had given the wrong orders.  "I searched the trash and everywhere for any evidence that I had maybe made a mistake."  Also he told me that he went to the wreck scene the next day observing a grisly scene!
Skip Salmon
---- NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

I was fortunate to have known Clyde Weatherly; he was a great educator and passed along his knowledge with great good humor.  I went back to see  him after he’d retired, and recorded some of his experiences one of which made a great story in Classic Trains.

He taught me a lot about train orders which became useful later in my career.  I owe him . . .

EdKing