611

Sat Jun 13 11:26:39 EDT 2015

Amen, Ed.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 6/13/2015 7:40:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

For those of you not old enough to remember, in 1964  (folks born that year
could have grandkids by now) Paul Merriman’s Mikado 4501  came out of the
contract shop in Chattanooga where it had been restored for  main line
service.  It was painted in Southern’s passenger green and gold  colors (which
nothing but passenger engines had ever carried), was lettered  “Chattanooga”
under the number on the cab where division markings had been  carried even
though there was never a Chattanooga Division on the Southern,  and the name
Walter C. Dove below that (he was the retired General Road  Foreman of
Engines who ran the engine on its first trips).

Nobody cared whether the livery was “appropriate” or  not.  It was
sanctioned by Southern’s top management represented by  Graham Claytor and that was
good enough for everybody else.  Steam was  running again on the Southern
and that was what mattered.

This was the locomotive that started our modern-day  excursion movement.
If it hadn’t been for 4501 we’d likely not have had  a 611, or anything
else, running around under its own steam.  And they  went so far as to put a
Ks-1 Consolidation, the 722 (even less of a passenger  engine than 4501), out
in green and gold.

So as far as I’m concerned, some little yellow  letters under the cab
window are not worth mentioning.  Be happy that  they are running around on such
a magnificent machine.

The J proved that it could go on other folks’  railroads and do what their
4-8-4s could do, but nobody’s 4-8-4 (or 4-4-4-4)  could come on the N&W and
do what the J could, and did, do.

So appreciate what you have.  Picking nits is a  waste of time.

EdKing