Elliston: Coal and Fire Cleaning ?

Mon Jun 1 10:33:01 EDT 2015

In going through the literature, has anyone noticed mention of engines having fires cleaned and taking coal at Elliston?

This would obviously be a pre-Mallet situation, if it ever happened.

This question arises because of something a 1906-hire engineman, Tom Kegley, told me. Tom stated that the helper policy was an engine ahead of westbound freights from West Roanoke to Elliston, this helper then returning to Roanoke. At Elliston, one or two other helpers coupled on and assisted the train to Christiansburg. If helpers were stationed at Elliston, the necessities (coal and fire cleaning) would have been required at that point.

Is there any information out there...?

(In case you're curious what else Tom said about helpers "on the River," he said that westbounds usually got a helper at Lurich, but sometime at Oakvale. I wish I had asked him if helpers were ever used west out of Pulaski, up Peak Creek Mountain.)

-- abram burnett