John A Pilcher

Thu May 28 10:21:03 EDT 2015

Jack,

Thanks for your reply and offer of assistance.  Now I really have to get down to Clifton forge and look at that folder.

My interest in john A Pilcher, Chf Mechanical Officer N&W, has been his freight car work for the N&W and I believe the USRA.  His designs for 55-ton composite wood and steel, and 100-ton all-steel flat-bottom gondola COAL cars have been discussed in the journals of the times.  His six-wheel truck designs/patents are also of interest to me.  There is not as much interest in these as there is about the monster steam locomotives of the times.

I have seen a couple of images of a dyno test train one with a frumpy-looking man in a wrinkled dark suit that I believe is John Pilcher.

How do I give you a "a holler" directly?  Can the list moderator send me your e-mail address?

Thanks,

Al Kresse, Romeo, Michigan

 Al: Wonder if that's supposed to be GalaX instead of Gala ?

My grandfather, John Alsop Pilcher Jr, was the Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Motive Power Dept of the N&W during the period when the Class A, Y6B and J were designed, under his direction.  I have no personal knowledge of when he retired but if he was born in 1868 and retired in 1938, he would have been 70 when he retired.  That sounds about right to me.  Also, my memory is that he died in the late 40's or early 50's, which would make him 80-something when he died, here in Roanoke (@ 436 Walnut Ave SW).  That also sounds right to me.

I would guess that the John Alsop, Jr, noted below, is in fact John Alsop Pilcher, Jr.

I cannot imagine why he would have been personally interested in property in Gala VA.

I believe that his father, John Alsop Pilcher was living in Petersburg VA when the father died.  I have no knowledge of the date.  I believe he was a Baptist Minister.

Does this help clarify your Issue 54?  Holler if you have other questions.

Peace and blessings,

Jack (John Alsop Pilcher III)