Locomotive names

Tue May 19 11:22:56 EDT 2015

Oh, and how could I forget the tweve-hunnids . . .

EdKing

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:10 AM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: Re: Locomotive names

As a 12 year old in Circleville, the railroaders that befriended me knew the locos that way, too. I (and probably they) knew nothing else. I was excited when the local operator told me that a twentyone-hunderd, something besides a twelve-hunderd or one-hunderd, was on the way. A site to behold. A couple times there was a twenty-hunderd. I only knew a Z as a fourteen-hundred and an M as eleven-hundred's (yes, I know they were in other number classes, too). Loved watching the 1400's up close & personal on the local freight smoothly snake around the sidings - a really good fit.  It wasn't till ten years later when I became a "railfan" and all the steamers were gone that I learned the locos had classes.
Ted Goodman
Columbus