odd photo

Tue May 19 07:17:17 EDT 2015

Lynn -

All the low-pressure cylinders of the Z-1s and Z-1as and Z-1bs were the same size – 35 inches.  The difference is in the valves.  The slide valves were the flat-top assembly on the top of the cylinders; the slide valve assemblies could be separated and removed from the cylinders.  The rounded tops denoted piston valves; these cylinder/valve assemblies were cast in one piece.   One of the Z-1as sold to the Tennessee Central (1396) had piston valves; one of the Z-1as sold to the Interstate (the former 1422, I believe) also had piston valves.

Where did you get the idea that any of the Z’s had cast frame/cylinder assemblies?  None of the Z’s were so equipped; they all had built-up bar frames with separate cylinders.  The only N&W engines equipped with one-piece frame/cylinders were the As, Js, S-1s, S-1as, rebuilt Y-5s, Y-6s, Y-6as and Y-6bs – 202 locomotives.

Lynn – you need to not out-think this thing.  None of the Z’s had cylinders that were any more huge than the others.  They ALL got their boiler pressure raised to 225.  They were excellent engines.  But none got cast frames or roller bearings.

EdKing