Baker gear hooked up near center

Wed Feb 11 18:09:57 EST 2015

You won't find it in the Prince book.  He doesn't discuss valve gear.  You
can find a discussion of Southern gear, including its inventor, in
Ranks-Lowe's Southern Steam Power.

The only engines on the Southern that kept their Baker to the end were the
As-11 0-8-0s and some of the 2-8-8-2s; some of the Ms-1 Mikados assigned to
the CNO&TP kept it; the early Mountains that came with Southern gear were
"Walschaertized" too.  Interestinly, only one of SR's 130 2-10-2s, all of
which were delivered with Southern gear, was changed to Walschaerts.

EdKing