Re: N&W C420

Thu Feb 5 16:54:13 EST 2015

Yes, I have multiple 35mm shots of all of N&W’s C-420’s.  413 and 417 both were painted into F5 scheme (black with yellow lettering, 1/2 moon heralds on both noses and below the cab windows. (some units with this scheme never had heralds applied to the locomotive noses but both these units did),  and large N&W on the sides of the long hood.  415 and 416 were definitely both painted in the  F-6 scheme , black with white NW lettering.  Likewise  420 appears to be the only unit painted in the F4 scheme, Pevler Blue, yellow lettering with 1/2 moon heralds….. but I don’t have shots of 413 and 117 prior to being painted into the F5 scheme so as unlikely as it is these could have been blue at some point.  I have pictures of 414, 415, 416, 418, and 419 all in F3 schemes, like F4 but black instead of blue.

Ed Painter; born in Bluefield from Giles County, VA and living in North Georgia.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎February‎ ‎5‎, ‎2015 ‎4‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
To: NW Mailing List

Atlas has announced a new run of the high-hood Alco C-420 including the F-5 N&W scheme in road numbers 413 and 417 (also in the F6 NW scheme with road numbers 415 and 416).

Has it been confirmed that 417 did receive the F-5 scheme?

Dick Dunford

Blacksburg