Railroads in natural resource buffer zones

Tue Jan 20 14:34:32 EST 2015

To the list: we recently returned from a visit to Costa Rica and were stunned by the abandonment of the fairly extensive rail lines in CR.  Abandoned lines in places like Turrialba and over the Pacure River.  Loss of intra-country rail service (we were told) was due to an earthquake in 1991 and financial crisis in the late '90's which prevented rebuilding.  Also mentioned was the desire of the president to stifle competition to his own fortune built on ownership of a steamship line.  I'll forward some photos of this lovely country and let you judge for yourselves.  It does seem like their now is an effort to rebuild some lines, although primarily limited to commuter rail in the larger cities like San Jose.

Ed Svitil