N&W Boxcars in Grain Service in Columbus

Tue Dec 30 22:15:17 EST 2014

When I was at Shaffers Crossing Car Department 1959-1961 we would classify empty box cars according to condition for various destinations.  A  class B car might be marked for the Warehouse, which was the Roanoke Freight House.  A little better car might be classed as B1 for Buchanan, cement bag loading.  Class A1 boxcars went to places like Saltville for baking soda loading, or Winston Salem or Durham for Cigarettes.  One year we were instructed to mark a
bunch of class A cars for “Grain”, meaning they’d be sent west and distributed accordingly.  But our clerk asked the question “where the hell is Grain?”

I don’t know if he ever found out.

EdKing