End of the year quiz #3

Fri Dec 26 10:13:22 EST 2014

Thanks Ed and Jeff, the magnitude of what I don't know never ceases to
amaze me.  Let me run a basic hump yard operations scenario by you and if
you would, correct my mistakes and fill in additional details.  A freight
arrives at the recieveing yard and its consist is broken up into cuts.  A
hump engine grabs a cut and under the control of the hump signal, pushes it
to the top of the hump where a man on the ground uncouples the lead car to
allow it to roll over the crest and start down the other side.
Concurrently, a man in the hump tower sets the switches and retarders to
take the free rolling car into the proper track (based on subsequent
destination) and slow it to coupling speed.  After a number of cuts have
been humped, the hump signal is set to red (was this a stoplight type
signal, red over yellow over green?) and a trimmer engine went into the
sorting tracks at the bottom of the hump to pull out cuts and take them to
an assembly yard to be incorporated into larger cuts that would be made up
into trains.  Did the trimmer signals have the same appearance as the hump
signals?  So the humping and trimming would be interlocked by signals.  How
about the initial breakup of incoming trains and the final assembly of
outgoing movements?  How were these actions coordinated with the humping
and trimming, or did this switching never go on at the same time as humping
and trimming was happening?
Jim Cochran