End of the year quiz #3

Mon Dec 22 21:18:08 EST 2014

Jim – the only question I can answer is that those aspects weren’t in the ETTs.  I never worked with them, not running trimmer engines . . .

EdK

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 9:44 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: End of the year quiz #3

Ed,
Thanks for your description.  I found a patent on line that talks about controlling hump yard movements with a hump signal and a trimmer signal.  I didn't study it in detail, but it appeared to be a method "interlocking" between a loco working the hump and one working the classification tracks so that when one was moving the other would be stopped.  In this particular example, is sounded as if there could be several aspects for these signals including a couple of proceeds, a back up and stop.  Were the aspects for N&W trimmers shown in the ETTs?
Were they available in some other documents?  Do you know what that horizontal plus backslash aspect in the photo indicated?  Did all N&W hump yards employ trimmer signal?  How about hump signals?  Is that enough questions for one note?
Thanks again,
Jim Cochran

  Trimmer signals were found in big yards where engines handled long cuts of cars and got out of sight of crewmen on the ground who would be handling switches and cutting cars.  The YM or Conductor would, using the trimmer signal which was in sight of the engineer, tell him when to back up, stop, come forward, etc.  Part of the problem at Portsmouth was that darn viaduct shown in the photo; it was difficult to see when working the west end of the eastbound yard or the westbound coal departure yard.  Thus, the “trimmer’ signal.

  Edk